Here are six things that have given me pleasure or had me looking forward to brighter days in the garden this week.
1) In a rather – or let’s be honest, very – neglected area of the garden, I’m attempting to rescue a blackcurrant bush that has become overwhelmed by rampaging ivy. I cut back some of the branches that were overhanging the path and have started to remove the ivy. I had noisy company from a robin while I was doing it. I think I was a little too close to his favourite perching point on the hazel tree.
2) [Left] I found a few terracotta pots while clearing out the garage so have planted them up with some different varieties of mint – garden mint, apple mint and black peppermint.
3) [Right] This lovely clump of daffodils was planted by a previous owner of the house under one of the apple trees in the garden
4) [Below] The ornamental quince is adding a wonderful pop of colour.
5) [Above] I planted a first batch of ‘Rocket’ potatoes in gro-sacks. Four more to follow as the risk of frost reduces.
6) Two more items from my collection of second hand gardening books. I’m still not entirely convinced there is such a thing as ‘simple pruning’…
Enjoy your garden, park or outside space this week.