Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and now hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl.
The rules are simple:
Each Tuesday, Jana assigns a new topic. Create your own Top Ten list that fits that topic – putting your unique spin on it if you want. Everyone is welcome to join but please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own Top Ten Tuesday post. Add your name to the Linky widget on that day’s post so that everyone can check out other bloggers’ lists. Or if you don’t have a blog, just post your answers as a comment.
This week’s topic is Favorite Book Quotes. My list is a slight twist on the topic as it’s made up of book titles that are quotations from other literary sources – poetry, The Bible, etc.
- Mr. Standfast by John Buchan (John Bunyan, The Pilgrim’s Progress)
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Genesis, Chapter 4, verse 16)
- Brave New World by Alduous Huxley (William Shakespeare, The Tempest)
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Paul Laurence Dunbar, ‘Sympathy’)
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (W. B. Yeats, ‘The Second Coming’)
- Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Thomas Gray, ‘Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard’ )
- For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (John Donne, ‘Meditation XVII’ from Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, ‘The Adventure of Silver Blaze’ in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes)
- The Mirror Crack’d From Side To Side by Agatha Christie (Alfred Tennyson, ‘The Lady of Shalott’)
- The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (Ecclesiastes, Chapter 7, Verse 4)